Are you a realtor or just a person with a disability? Let’s discuss what people with disabilities are looking for when looking for a place.
When I moved out on my own I was of course looking for places I could live that were accessible and accommodating.
List of things I was for so I could live comfortably:
- Was the place close near a bus stop?
- Did the place have a ramp or steps?
- Was there a walk in shower or a tub?
- Was I allowed to put grab bars up in the bathroom?
- Could I accessibly move around the place kitchen, bedroom etc.?
- Was there stairs in the place?
- If there were stairs, is there a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen downstairs?
- Could I afford the rent or to buy?
- Could I have a care person come in to help me around the house and if needed be a live in helper.
These were a few things I was looking for and many others with disabilities are looking for. Do you as a Realtor know this or do you need training when it comes to people with disabilities?
Check me out www.disabilityspeaker.org
Do you as a person with a disability discuss with the Realtor or landlord, what you need to be able to live in a place? You should know what accommodations you need to live comfortably.
No matter what situation you are in, you can live on your own and sometimes with help. This is possible, you just need to know what accommodations and what you need to live comfortably. Let’s stop making excuses and feeling sorry for yourself and start living our lives to fullest! Go after that life you want and deserve, squeak, squeak!